Bathrooms are the most common places for mold to build up. If you have noticed mold on the bathroom ceiling, along the edges of the tub or anywhere else in your bathroom, it’s time to take action. Mold generally grows in isolated dark and damp areas and the bathroom is the perfect place for it to grow quickly. The following tips will help you remove and prevent mold from forming in your bathroom.
Removing Mold from the Bathroom
- Use hydrogen peroxide, white vinegar or bleach to remove mold from your bathroom
- If cleaning the mold with the above-mentioned products don’t remove it you will need to strip and replace the sealant or caulking that has mold growth.
- If mold has reached into the insulation or walls a professional is needed for removal.
Preventing Mold from Growing in the Bathroom
- Ventilate your bathroom with an exhaust fan. If you don’t have one you should get one installed. In the meantime, you can leave your bathroom door open after showers to allow the steam to escape the bathroom.
- Wash bathroom rugs on a regular basis
- Install a shower curtain that is mildew-resistant
- Avoid keeping loofahs and shower sponges in the shower.
Common Causes of Mold in Bathrooms
If you have reoccurring mold in your bathroom you need to consider the following.
- Leaky pipes
- Leaky sinks
- Leaky toilets
- Leaky showerheads
- Lack of ventilation
- Wet or damp wood, grout, rugs, paper products, fabric, or drywall
Some homeowners don’t realize that mold can be dangerous to your health. Mold is bacteria that grows rapidly and spreads throughout surfaces and the air. This means that not only does your skin come into contact with the mold, but you also breathe in tiny particles. This can lead to skin infections and respiratory issues as well as allergic reactions.
In addition to putting your family’s health at risk, you are also in danger of causing damage to your home. If mold grows behind the wall or any place that you can’t see, it can spread and cause serious damage to insulation, walls, floors and more. If you sense that your home has hidden mold it is best to have an expert investigate further.
A common way to prevent mold in the bathroom and throughout your home is to check for leaks on a regular basis. At the first sign of mold, you need to remove it immediately. Generally, mold can build up due to leaky faucets or toilets. If a leak is the cause you need to contact us, your professional plumber immediately! Don’t let mold take over your bathroom. Call us today for further assistance!
Since 1968, Chip Mokher & his team has provided South Florida with quality service with a commitment to our customers’ satisfaction. Our many years of experience has allowed us to serve thousands of homes and businesses in Miami-Dade County. We welcome the opportunity to serve you, please call us at 305-446-8266 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org