It’s estimated that 30 percent of Florida’s population has a septic system. The use of septic systems can be found all around the state, including here in the Miami-Dade area. It is important that those with septic systems in Florida take care of their unit properly. Not only will that keep things in better working order, but it will also help to protect the environment, so that hazardous waste is not leaking from the system.
The good news is that caring for your septic system is not as difficult as it may seem. Septic systems are essentially onsite sewage treatment and disposal systems. Here are 5 tips for caring for your septic system:
- Properly dispose of waste. Make sure that everyone in your household knows what is safe to flush down the toilet and what is not. Such things as condoms, floss, cat litter, flushable wipes, and medications should never be flushed down the toilet.
- Avoid putting toxins down the toilet, such drain openers, paints, toxic cleaners, etc. Inside the septic system there is a collection of living organisms that treat the household waste by digesting it. Putting harmful toxins down the toilet may ruin this delicate balance.
- Keep maintenance records on your septic system. Log when it’s been serviced, repairs have been made, etc. This is a good way to keep up on ensuring it’s being properly taken care of.
- Protect your drainfield. Locate where the drainfield is for your septic system and then make sure people do not park or drive over it. Also, be careful about what landscaping you put near it, because some things may grow roots large enough to damage it.
- Be sure to have your septic system inspected by a professional at least every three years. If you have a system that uses advanced technology, you may want to opt for a yearly inspepction.
A septic system can be a safe and effective way to handle household waste, but only if the system is being properly maintained and cared for. If you have a septic system and have questions, or need an inspection or repairs, give us a call. We provide the top plumbing services in Miami and beyond!
Contact us with all of your plumbing needs!
Since 1968, Chip Mokher & his team has provided South Florida with quality service with a commitment to our customers’ satisfaction. Our many years of experience has allowed us to serve thousands of homes and businesses in Miami-Dade County. We welcome the opportunity to serve you, please call us at 305-446-8266 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org