Spring has arrived in South Florida. This means you need to do some spring cleaning. While you and your family are busy cleaning the house and organizing the closets, your plumbing is screaming for attention too. Cleaning pipes and checking for leaks might be the last thing you want to do, but it could help prevent plumbing issues. Follow the quick and easy plumbing tips below to help prevent expensive plumbing issues this spring.
- Start Outside – Clean gutters, yard drains, and down spouts. You will be surprised to find a large amount of debris stuck in the gutters.
- Check for Leaks – Inspect under sinks and faucets for leaks.
- Replace the Water Heater – If your water heater has leaks or is more than 15 years old you should replace it immediately. If you are not sure of the age you check the serial number. Most water heaters have the date included in the first four numbers of the serial number. The month is listed first, then the year.
- Check the Water Heater Temperature – Cooler weather might have caused you to higher the temperature of the water heater. Since spring has arrived you should set the water heater no higher than 120 F. This helps reduce energy use and saves money.
- Check the Toilets – All toilets in the house should flush properly. This means if you need to do any tricks such as jiggle the handle to get the toilet to flush properly there might be an issue. Remove the toilet tank and check the parts in the tank. If any are rusted or broken you need to replace them as soon as possible.
- Check Water Valves – The water supply valves are often located under the sink or on the side of the toilet. Most homeowners don’t pay any attention to these valves until there is a problem. This often causes the valves to freeze and stick in the “on” position which makes it difficult to turn them off in emergency situations. Turn the water supply valves on and off briefly once per month to assure they are in good working order.
- Inspect Toilets – Closely inspect toilet bowls and tanks for cracks. Using a flashlight helps see small cracks easier. If you notice any cracks you should replace the toilet as soon as possible.
These quick and easy spring plumbing tips will help prevent issues from arising throughout the season. Conducting a plumbing inspection on a regular basis, preferably every season, will save you money in the long run. If you found any leaks or plumbing issues contact me, Chip Mokher, your professional plumber today!
Since 1968, Chip Mokher & his team has provided South Florida with quality service with a commitment to our customers’ satisfaction. Our many years of experience has allowed us to serve thousands of homes and businesses in Miami-Dade County. We welcome the opportunity to serve you, please call us at 305-446-8266 or email us at email@example.com