A clogged drain is something every homeowner has to deal with at some point. It’s best to be prepared with a few simple fixes that can clear the drain until the plumber arrives to address the situation. Quick thinking and immediate action are essential to keeping your clogged drain from becoming a serious issue. Follow the steps below to unclog your drain.
- Use a Plunger – Homeowners should purchase two plungers. One for smaller drains and others for larger issues such as the toilet. It is essential to keep the plungers in an easy to get to place in case of an emergency. If your sink or tub isn’t already filled with water, run the faucet and allow it to fill up so the entire plunger piece (not the stick) is submerged in water. Then rapidly plunge the drain in an up and down motion until the water is flowing down the drain better. Sometimes you might bring up sludge, hair or other debris during this process. Try not to let the debris go back down the drain. Instead, remove it from the sink and throw it in the trash.
- Try a Safe Natural Remedy – Many of the commercial cleansers that promise to unclog your drain contain harsh chemicals. They often get the job done but they also release harsh odor and it can damage the pipes. Instead of causing more issues with the drain, try this natural remedy first.
– Empty as much water from the sink as you can.
– Pour 1 cup of baking soda down the drain.
– Pour 1 cup of vinegar down the drain after the baking soda.
– Wait for 5 to 10 minutes.
– Run hot water from the faucet down the drain for 1 minute.
- Remove the Sink Stopper – Sometimes a clogged drain is due to a sink stopper collecting debris such as hair and other particles. Simply removing the stopper and cleaning it with baking soda can help water flow easier.
Clogged drains are a common issue in households across the United States. You can use the easy DIY techniques listed above to unclog the drains in your home. If you try the techniques above and your drain still remains clogged, you will need to contact a plumber. They will observe the situation and find the main cause of the clog. In addition, they will use safe professional techniques to fix the issue. If you are in this situation, take action and contact me Chip Mokher today!
Since 1968, Chip Mokher & his team has provided South Florida with quality service with a commitment to our customers’ satisfaction. Our many years of experience has allowed us to serve thousands of homes and businesses in Miami-Dade County. We welcome the opportunity to serve you, please call us at 305-446-8266 or email us at email@example.com