Do you think about the drains in your house? Not many people do until there is a serious issue. A drain emergency can pop up any time causing homeowners inconvenience and stress. There are a few signs that homeowners can recognize to prevent a blocked drain and the hassle that goes along with the problem. As a homeowner, you want to keep your eyes open for the following signs of a blocked drain.
• Strong odor – This type of odor is strong and difficult to cover up. The odor is often caused by thick grime, food particles or large chunks of food, small toys, and sometimes a small rodent located in another area of the drain.
• Backed up toilets – This issue is often caused by flushing of small toys, too much toilet paper, sanitary products and other objects too large for the drain. This is a serious issue because the object can damage the pipeline.
• Slow draining bathtub or sink – This situation gradually builds up over time. It is generally caused by soap and grime that form thick layers that slow down the draining of water.
• Gurgling sounds – If you hear a noise coming from the drain after running the water it is a sign of slow damage. Generally, the cause is a buildup of oil, grease, food, hair, and grime. Other times it could be a sign of something more serious such as damage to a sewer line.
• Puddles of water on your lawn – If you notice water puddles on your lawn or located near the sewer line this could be a sign of a blockage. Sometimes issues can arise when trees or foliage grow near the sewer line and the roots damage the water lines underground.
As you can see from the list above there can be various reasons that cause a blocked drain. Some are more serious than others. A clogged drain caused by hair can be easily removed with a plunger. You can also prevent the issue from reoccurring by investing in affordable drain screens that capture hair.
However, there are situations when a clogged drain is a sign of a serious issue. If you are not sure what is causing the clog you need to ask for assistance from a licensed plumber. It’s essential that clogs are fixed as quickly as possible to prevent the issue from getting worse and becoming more expensive. Call us today for further assistance!